INTERVIEW - LES FAUX TATOUAGES


After the screening of “Les Faux Tatouages“ we met with the two protagonists Rose-Marie Perreault and Anthony Therrien for a short interview. They gave us an exclusive insight into the shooting process as well as their opinion on the similarities between their characters and their own personalities.

fGR: Why did you two audition for the movie in the first place?
Anthony: Well, I guess that’s because it’s kind of our job to do so (laughing). Also because Pascal actually asked us to do the audition first.

fGR: So, you knew him before?
Anthony: Yeah, well I didn’t knew him personally but when I went to the audition we first met and we had coffee together and we talked. And then he gave me the part. I met Rose-Marie on an other set, and I told her you have to audition for that, and then she went to the audition and –
Rose-Marie: Well, I was not supposed actually to audition because I was two years older than what Pascal imagined.

fGR: How old are you?
Rose-Marie: I’m 22, and he imagined the girl to be more like 18 years old. But we really got along together shooting another project, so I asked my agent ‘can you just ask this guy if I could pass the audition’ and it worked.

fGR: Do you find parts of yourselves in your characters?
Anthony: Of course. Théo is not a mean person or what so ever but there are some things about Theo that I like and some I awfully hate. But over all it’s a great character. But I personally love a lot of things about her character Mag.

Rose-Marie: Yeah, she is very free spirited and self-confident. She is probably more self-confident than I am (laughs). She is very outgoing also, she just goes in life the way she wants to.

fGR: Do you have any real tattoos?
Anthony: Umm, I don’t (laughs). We don’t even have tattoos right? But, yeah, eventually I think.. 

Rose-Marie: I’d go to Europe before having a tattoo.. 

Anthony: Right, exactly. Its’s actually the opposite of Mag’s character (as it is said in the movie). It’s rather travel than having tattoos.  

fGR: Do you know, what you would get?
Anthony: Oh that’s a good question! I don’t actually know. Probably something related to a movie or a book that I like.

Rose-Marie: I’m a bit scared of tattoos I think I wouldn’t want..

Anthony: … are you scared of needles?

Rose-Marie: No, not of needles but the fact that having something on your body for your whole life… It scares me.

Anthony: Yeah, it’s a thing! (both laughing)

fGR: Do you like to portray such tough characters or do you rather portrait shy ones?
Rose-Marie: I don’t think I have a preference but what I like is doing something that is not too close to my personality.  And also having to change physically like really dress up as the characters. So, this is fun like you put on your costume, and you already feel different.

Anthony: I think it’s kind of the same for me. I mean, of course I’ve been casting mainly for drama movies since I started. Now, this one is kind of a more light, romantic comedy. It’s kind of an easy-going movie. So, of course I like both but if I had to choose I’m more of a comedy-guy, I like doing funny stuff. So, I don’t have any preferences, too. Any part that I like, I would say. 

fGR: So, this movie wasn’t your first one for both of you?
Anthony: No, it wasn’t our first.

fGR: What did you do before?
Anthony: I came here with a movie, 4 years ago, with Corbo. And I did a couple of other movies from Montreal. Maybe that hasn’t travelled like Corbo or Les Faux Tatouages but yeah I did other movies and so did you.

Rose-Marie: Yes, I did some TV shows and some movies, but this was my biggest role like in terms of the time on screen…

Anthony: …and you killed it! (laughing)

fGR: Yes, you did! You both did!
What did you have to do in the audition? Was there a certain task you had to accomplish?

Rose-Marie: The audition scene was the first scene in the restaurant where Théo and Mag meet, this very long scene, which is quite nice because we could like get to know each other..

Anthony: It was actually just a part of that scene, and then he (meaning Pascal Plante, the Director) was like ‘after those lines are done you can just go and do improv’. So, we were like ’oh okay, let’s do it’, and as I said actually I didn’t have an actual audition. It was a meeting with Pascal, and he saw some of the things that I did before. So, he kind of knew how I could play. I mean, of course there were a few lines I had to read like for an audition (fingerquotes) but that wasn’t a big deal. But your audition was quite tough, and you actually did really well..

Rose-Marie: Yeah, because I like improvisation. And since we knew each other and our humor and everything it was easier to just like be..

Anthony: Yeah, exactly we had that connection from the start. So, you know you could just like actually just play around and that stuff (laughing)

fGR:  Do you think like hypothetically that you characters could have started a distant relationship in the movie?
Anthony: I would say yes. I think that is what the movie does actually. But also what I love about this movie is that it doesn’t actually ends super well but it doesn’t actually ends super bad either. So, you have those like possibilities where you can just pick which one you want.

Rose-Marie: Yes, and when they spent their months together they never say I love you. They are not committed as a couple. They could have tried to keep some kind of connection but it’s also beautiful that they don’t for a while, and then she called him back, I think it’s more special.

Anthony: I think that the fact that they could have kept contact with each other would have been also very painful. So you know, when they said goodbye it was done. And they knew it from the start, so it’s kind of an easier thing to do then if I had to like just leave in the morning.

fGR:  Where do you both come from? From Montreal?
Anthony: Yeah. Well, I’m from a suburb of Montreal. But I’m Montrealer, I was born in Montreal.

Rose-Marie: I’m from a smaller city maybe two hours away from Montreal. But I lived in Montreal for the last five years.

fGR:  Rose-Marie, do you actually like Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies” song?
Rose-Marie: Not really. If I had to say 5 singers I like, I wouldn’t say Beyoncé. I don’t hate her but she is not part of my background. 

fGR: What kind of music are you listening to?
Anthony: Such different styles. Actually my brother listens to country, so I listen to country with him. And then I listen to rap with my friends and to rock with my father. So, I’d say any type of music.

fGR: One last question: Does this „malamute“ you’re talking about in the movie really exist?
Anthony: Oh yeah, sure. It’s this big dog from Alaska. It’s a real thing. You can google it, it will definitely become your new favorite animal! (both laughing)


Thank you for this interview.



27.02.2018, Vivien Krüger & Moritz Palma

Keine Kommentare

Latest Blog Posts